As an outsider looking into the window of my parents' relationship, one can say their relationship needs to be edited. Is it the way my ...

Editing: A relationship, a person even

8:38 AM Sharon 0 Comments

As an outsider looking into the window of my parents' relationship, one can say their relationship needs to be edited. Is it the way my ma talks? (more like screams) or the how my pa doesn't let anyone explain their actions? How do we know how to edit or 'fix' a person? What does it mean to fix someone anyway?

I was talking to a co-worker once. He told me if I was looking for a boyfriend (which I wasn't) to find a boy who needs fixing, then fix him up. Of course, I asked "What do you mean?" my co-worker responded "His appearance."

Is that all it is? I think not. It's a lot deeper than that.

I think as a person, we are who we are. We can change the person's surface but we can't change the person. However, we can change the perception of how we choose to see a person. For instance, my ma is annoying, loud, over bearing, extremely nosy, etc. But if I disregard all that and realize that she is just a really over protective mother. It's not so frustrating anymore because you know why. In order to understand other people, you have to understand yourself first.

So really, we are making edits to ourselves. To be better people. To grow. To understand.

Maybe next time in an argument with my ma, instead of getting frustrated or yelling, I should say "You need to edit your way of thinking. I'm not how you think I am."

How I see it, people are like drafts of beautiful work. People are not perfect, people make mistakes and they just make edits to themselves along the way. Isn't that how we learn? We are constantly editing ourselves to become better people.

0 comments: