I was taken back into the 1930s last Tuesday in The Moonlight Sonata of Beethoven Blatz , play production by Armin Wiebe .  The story begi...

The Moonlight Sonata of Beethoven Blatz

1:19 PM Sharon 0 Comments

I was taken back into the 1930s last Tuesday in The Moonlight Sonata of Beethoven Blatz, play production by Armin Wiebe.  The story begins with Obrum (Tom Keenan) bringing home a broken piano instead of a washing machine for his wife, Susch (Tracy Penner). Other characters include: Beethoven Blatz (Eric Nyland) who Obrum brings home to fix the broken piano and Teen (Daria Puttaert) a lesbian friend of Susch's.

As the lights dimmed in the first opening scene and the music began playing. My first initial thought was "Sigh, here we go again, another story about a man and a woman on the prairies." But as the play developed and the storyline unraveled I became more and more intrigued by what would happen next. The play was filled with dramatic actions and the characters are funny. I was surprised by the "funny" accent they had and wondered if people in the 1930s really talked like that. It was an entertaining play, the lighting was well put together and the music sound effects helped create ambiance in the theatre.

However, I found the characters speaking in metaphors and while it caused a lot of laughter in the audience. I thought that the situation between the characters weren't addressed or dealt with properly, there were many times where I wanted to jump out and shout "No! So and so did this" or "No you have it wrong, you're thinking wrong!" Such as when Blatz was explaining to Obrum about the music had to have rhythm. Eg) "stroking and hammering" while Obrum thought Blatz meant something else. But with the characters speaking in metaphors it added to the mystery at the end of the play, as to who was the father of Susch's baby. As Armin Wiebe said in the talkback, that part of the play, would be a topic of discussion amongst us students. 

My appreciation for the play grew as it progressed along, I think it was an overall fairly good play. Although, Armin didn't seem very open about talking about his work during the talkback, it doesn't change what I think about the play.

When Armin Wiebe attended our speaker slot on Thursday. He seemed a little hesitant to talk about his work like during the talkback Tuesday night. But as we learned on Thursday, Armin used to be an instructor at Red River College, you would think he would be more comfortable or more open about talking about his work to students.

But as I see it, sometimes when an artist or a writer convey their feelings and ideas through the pieces of work, they want to keep their own meanings behind the piece to themselves. Being an artist myself, I like to create the piece of artwork and let people see it in their own perspective and have their own thoughts about what the piece means. I wouldn't want to explain to people why I decided to paint this or why I decided to write that. The mystery behind the piece keeps people wondering and that's what makes the it admirable.

0 comments: