Nell Freudenberger was born on April 21, 1975. She lives in New York City. Her story, “An Arranged Marriage,” appeared in the September ...

Short Story Review: "An Arranged Marriage" by Nell Freudenberger

9:43 AM Sharon 0 Comments

Nell Freudenberger was born on April 21, 1975. She lives in New York City.

Her story, “An Arranged Marriage,” appeared in the September 6, 2010, issue of The New Yorker

The protagonist of the story, Amina is quite intriguing. I find her character was well developed but the story wasn't. The story just seemed to fall flat and become boring after a few paragraphs. Amina's narrative is a little confusing and takes some time getting used to. The narrative seems shift all over the place that I have to go back and re-read what was written. The pacing of the story was quite slow, I found it hard to keep track and found it hard to keep my interest in reading the story.

The story is a about Amina, a girl from a Bangladesh family and because of her father's incompetence she goes on the internet, AsianEuro.com to find a man, or a mate. The man, George is an American. They exchange emails for a few months and Amina eventually moves to the U.S.

I would have liked to know more about the character, George. The story doesn't tell us much about him at all. In this story, I felt there was a lot of things that were touched on, but there was no further mentioning of it, which made for me, felt like there were holes in the story.

To me it, the story wasn't a satisfying to read.

0 comments: