A couple weeks ago, my CreComm class was told by Kenton Larsen to watch a movie for a homework assignment. I was estatic, it was the best h...

The Facebook Movie: The Social Network

2:49 PM Sharon 5 Comments

A couple weeks ago, my CreComm class was told by Kenton Larsen to watch a movie for a homework assignment. I was estatic, it was the best homework assignment I have ever received in my 12 years of schooling. How often does your instructor tell you to go watch a movie for homework? Not very often.

I grabbed a friend and we went on a journey as we smuggled ourselves into the Famous Players movie theatre in St. Vital. We had arrived 15 minutes early and the theatre was still packed, there was a congestion of people everywhere! I hoped I wouldn't get lost in the mob of people towering over me because I'm vertically challenged. My friend and I ended up getting front row seats which resulted in a stiff neck by the end of the movie. Oh, how I hate that.

The Social Network shows the story of how Facebook got started, why it started, what the creators had to go through to make it the Facebook we know today. The movie gave outsider's an idea of how the life of college student, Mark Zuckerberg, before he launched the life of Facebook. And before he became the Co-founder, president and CEO of Facebook and before he became one of the youngest billionares in the world.

When I watched the movie, I didn't feel that the movie potrayed any negative light nor any positive light on Zuckerberg. Instead, I think it showed a smart, and collective way of deciding what to do to help ourselves in negative situations. So maybe he didn't act so rationally when his girlfriend broke up with him but feelings are hard to control. But that is beside the point. I think the movie covered most aspects of human nature. There was growth, betrayal, and trust displayed between the characters in the movie.

If I was in Mark Zuckerberg's position, I would expect the film to educate viewers about how much money was actually in Facebook. But I wouldn't think it would hurt or help the website because being as popular as it is. I don't think it would grab any more attention than Facebook already has.


Jesse Eisenberg sporting pj's in The Social Network who
plays Mark Zuckerberg.

The majority of people who would be interested in seeing The Social Network would most likely be the younger generations who are using Facebook already and are interested in learning how Facebook started. I don't think people like my parents (who are totally green when it comes to computer technology) would be interested in watching a movie about social networking nor would they understand it even if they did watched it.

In the PR Post Zuckerberg's response and reaction to the movie was titled as a "Blowing-it-off-response" That post did make me question as to whether the movie was even liable. Zuckerberg's comment “It’s a movie; it’s fun... I can promise you, this is my life so I know it’s not that dramatic" made me stop and think "Wait! So this whole success of Facebook was a lie? Should I take this seriously?" (and that was before I read to the end of the post) The comment from Zuckerberg also made me want to ask him personally "Would you have preferred that they make it a documentary or autobiography?"

Interesting clip about Zuckerberg's personal life.


5 comments:

  1. Hey Sharon, awesome post!

    I also really enjoyed the obvious growth of characters throughout the movie. Their motivations seemed almost ever-changing.

    Sitting at the front of the theater is just the worst, I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon great post. Thanks for including the clip from Oprah. I have the impression that Zuckerberg is a shy person, who, because of his success, must deal with significant public interest. I've never had that problem myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry: I'll have many more "fun" assignments for you before the year is out. Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! The question you posed at the end really made me think what would happen if it WERE a documentary...how many more secrets would come out?

    ReplyDelete