I live in Elmwood-East Kildonan and I had a chance to witness the reaction of candidate Shaneen Robinson during last night's civic elect...

Elmwood-East Kildonan residents: WHY?

2:46 PM Sharon 4 Comments

I live in Elmwood-East Kildonan and I had a chance to witness the reaction of candidate Shaneen Robinson during last night's civic election. As the final clock counts down to 8:00 p.m. People crowded around the 36" flat screen tv at Robinson's campaign headquarters, anxiously looking for the results to appear. It was a while before the final scores came in at 9:15 p.m.

The winner for the Elmwood-East Kildonan ward? Ex Winnipeg Jet, Thomas Steen.

I was disappointed. I was hoping either Shaneen Robinson or Rod Giesbrecht would take the seat as Elmwood-East Kildonan's city councillor.

At Robinson's headquarters, family, friends and supporters were also disappointed but the support for her still continued. Her campaign headquarters on 251 Henderson Hwy was filled with applauses and cheers even after the loss. Steen received 3,921 votes while Robinson scored 3,705 votes. It was a close race between the two candidates and at one point, Robinson was only 2 votes behind Steen.

From my first impression of Thomas Steen, to put it bluntly, I really didn't like him. On Oct.20 when the city council forum was held at the Elmwood-East Kildonan Seniors Centre. Thomas Steen just didn't seem to care. In my opinion, he didn't seem that in tune with the residents and the area. When residents asked him questions he would give vague answers. He even answered a yes or no question with 'yo'.
It was chuckle worthy, but I didn't like how he didn't have a definite concrete answer. He seemed a little sketchy to me. Maybe I'm just weird. But he didn't give me the reassurance that he would make a change in Elmwood-East Kildonan and I would really love to see changes being made. I walk to a lot of places and I would like to see sidewalks along Molson Street that doesn't flood when it rains.

Way to go Elmwood-East Kildonan for electing someone that probably has no real ties to the area.Thomas Steen you better start learning about this community fast. Or we Elmwood-East Kildonan kids will come and hunt you down. (Oh no! There goes an increase in crime)

I don't know, but whatever the case may be I shall not be closed minded and see what Thomas Steen has to offer to Elmwood-East Kildonan.

Anyone up for the Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show? Does he remind you of Thomas Steen?

4 comments:

  1. I was floored when Steen won.

    It seems more for publicity than for the people to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rod and Shaneen split the vote on the left, and left the door wide open for Steen to win. The NDP made a mess of that ward.

    (Great video by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come it's OK to make fun of the Swedes? Thank goodness, I'm Norwegian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know!! I couldn't believe he won! After covering the East K ward in our J article I felt that he and Gordon were the least fit to win; but at least Gordon didn't win..."I reserve my right to go last" At first I thought he was joking, :s eep!

    ReplyDelete